Its been nearly a year since we finished installing all the sites in Knowsley but the project is still gaining headlines for its innovative approach to helping the local community.
On Friday 16th May we donned our best frocks and tuxedos and attended the North West RICs awards in Liverpool, where the Knowsley project was shortlisted in the Community Benefit category.
Unfortunately we didn’t win however we had a great time and were grateful to be shortlisted in an category among so many brilliant projects.
The Knowsley project was built in partnership with Knowsley Council. The funding for these facilities came through Public Health as they were keen to invest in free and accessible facilities to help tackle some troubling statistics, these were:
- In 2013 23% of deaths in the borough were down to cardiovascular disease
- Average ‘healthy’ life expectancy was 57 years
The results since installation has been great :
- 146,000 residents in Knowsley now have access to outdoor gym equipment within 10 minutes of their house
- 14 of the 15 sites were installed into known deprived areas so everyone can truly benefit
- The local NHS groups that run exercise classes on the sites have a 70% retention rate on all participants that have signed up to them
The Knowsley case study video can be viewed here
Since the official opening the Council has worked hard to promote the green gyms initiative and have had a fantastic response. Promoting free and accessible equipment in the borough and running classes on them really has made the community warm to them and use these fantastic facilities.
Since this success we have decided to embark on our own challenge to get 1 million people more active by 2020. If we give 146,000 residents in Knowsley a great chance at being more active then we can get to this 1 million mark.
If you want to get involved with this and help us make our target then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ‘1 million active’.